|1945||On November 11, Tanimoto English School, the forerunner of Kansai Gaidai University, was founded by Noboru and Takako Tanimoto in Higashi-Sumiyoshi Ward in the city of Osaka.|
|1947||Tanimoto English School changed its name to Kansai Gaikokugo Gakko (Kansai Foreign Language School).|
|1953||Kansai Gaidai College (two-year program), the Division of English and American Studies, was established in Mandai, Sumiyoshi Ward in Osaka City.|
|1966||The Mandai campus was partially moved to Katahoko in Hirakata City, Osaka. Kansai Gaidai University (four-year program) was inaugurated with the Department of English and American Studies and the Department of Spanish Studies. In addition, Kansai Gaidai College (two-year program) was launched at the Katahoko campus. The main administration moved to Hirakata.|
|1968||A professor and nineteen students from the University of Arkansas participated in a Kansai Gaidai-sponsored summer seminar, marking the first Asian Studies Program offered to students from abroad.|
|1971||Reciprocal exchanges were initiated with US institutions with credit transfer arrangements.|
|1972||The Asian Studies Program was formally designed and initiated as a one-year study abroad experience. A non-professional, liberal arts focused curriculum has been designed to meet the diverse expectations of undergraduate students worldwide.|
|1973||The Graduate School, M.A. Program in English Linguistics was established.|
|1976||The Graduate School, M.A. Program in Language and Cultural Studies, was added.|
|1979||A Ph.D. program within the Graduate School was established. This program was the very first among national, public, and private foreign language universities in Japan.|
|1980||Founded in 1977 and accredited by the Hawaiian government in 1979, Kansai Gaidai Hawaii College was opened. This satellite campus made Kansai Gaidai the first Japanese institution with an overseas campus.|
|1982||Hoping to enhance further international exchange, education, and research, the Tanimoto Memorial Hall for International Education, also known as the Center for International Education (CIE), was constructed adjacent to the Katahoko campus.|
|1984|| The Hotani campus in the city of Hirakata was established. The functions of the Mandai campus were completely moved to the city of Hirakata after its 31-year history.
A new international dormitory was opened to accommodate the ever increasing number of Asian Studies Program participants.
|1986||Kansai Gaidai's "New Era Project" was launched in order to further improve its academic programs and physical facilities.|
|1987||Kansai Gaidai sent two students for a Dual Degree Program for the first time.|
|1990||The number of overseas affiliated institutions reached 100. The number of students who had participated in the university sponsored study abroad programs passed the 10,000 mark.|
|1993||The Graduate School added a "Research Course" to its Master's program. An Intensive English Studies (IES) program in the undergraduate as well as in Kansai Gaidai College (two-year program) was launched.|
|1994||As part of the University's continuous efforts to upgrade its academic facilities, a new library was completed. A new curriculum in the College of Foreign Studies was introduced. The Curso para Extranjeros (CPE) program for Spanish majors was also added.|
|1996||The Hotani campus established the Department of International Languages and Communication in the College of International Communication. This program aims to produce professionals in the field of international culture and communication.|
|1997||The new International Seminar House was opened to provide housing for more international students. The Educational Technology Center was also established.|
|2000||To meet the challenges of the coming century, Kansai Gaidai announced a move of the entire Katahoko campus to a new locale in Nakamiya, Hirakata.|
|2002||The construction and relocation of the entire Katahoko campus to Nakamiya was completed. Greatly expanding the educational facilities, this relocation completed the Kansai Gaidai's "New Era Project."|
|2003||An apartment style international student dormitory, Seminar House III, was constructed to accommodate ever-increasing number of international students.|
|2005||In order to respond to the needs for international students dormitories, Seminar House IV was completed in August.
The number of countries and regions in which KG has inter-institutional relations reached 50. In the last five years, 21 countries have been added.
|2007||The number of overseas affiliated institutions reached 300.|
|2011||The College of International Professional Development was inaugurated at the Nakamiya campus. One-year study abroad during the third year is integrated in its curriculum.|
|2012||The International Communication Center, a hub for various collaborative activities with local and international institutions and organizations, opened.|
|2013||A new Elementary Education Program was added to the College of International Professional Development.|
|2014||The College of Global Communication and Language opened at the Gakkentoshi Campus. One-semester study abroad in each English and Chinese speaking country is included in its curriculum.|
|2015||In celebration of the 70th anniversary of its founding, Kansai Gaidai University has launched Gotenyama Campus・Global Town Project: the relocation of its Gakkentoshi campus to a new location in Gotenyama, which is only a few blocks away from its Nakamiya Campus. The Gotenyama campus・Global Town is scheduled for completion in 2018.
Kansai Gaidai celebrates the 70th anniversary of its foundation. The number of international affiliations reached 380 institutions in 54 countries and regions.
|2016||The University celebrated the 50th anniversary of the College of Foreign Studies which has led the development of language study in Japan.|
|2018||Kansai Gaidai College (two-year program) celebrates the 65th anniversary of its opening.
Gotenyama Campus Global Town opens at the new site.
|2019||"Double Degree Program" was Launched. A degree-seeking student from Miami University transferred to the 3rd year of the College of International Professional Development.|