ALL STUDENTS who plan to extend their studies at Kansai Gaidai into the Spring semester of 2023 should inform us their request through GAIDAI-Link no later than Tuesday, October 18. Those who have originally planned to stay here for one-year should also submit the extension request.
Those students who had originally applied for one semester should ask their home institution to send a supporting letter to Kansai Gaidai (email@example.com) via e-mail.
[Requirements for Extension of Stay]
Students must have at least a 2.0 GPA with no F’s for the Fall semester of 2022.
|Oct. 18 (Tue)||Deadline for submission of Extension request|
|Dec. 22 (Thu)||Notification of "Approval or Disapproval of Extension of Stay" by e-mail. Issuing an invoice for winter housing, if applicable.|
|Dec. 23 (Fri)||Deadline for moving out of the Kansai Gaidai Residence Hall if not plan to stay there during the winter break|
FOR THOSE WHOSE EXTENSION IS APPROVED:
|Dec. 24 (Sat)||Students will be eligible to continue to stay in winter housing if they wish.|
|Jan. 6 (Fri)||Payment deadline for winter housing|
|Mid January (TBA)||Course Registration|
|Jan. 24 (Tue)||
FOR THOSE WHOSE EXTENSION IS NOT APPROVED:
Students whose extension applications are not approved must leave accommodations arranged by Kansai Gaidai no later than 5:00pm on December 23.
Memorandum for Extension Students
Students who have applied for extension of stay into the Spring 2023 semester should carefully note the following items:
- Official Transcript
- Computer Access
- Accommodation during Winter Break (December 24 – January 19)
- Storing Luggage during Winter Break
- Re-entry into Japan [Important]
- Spring Semester Orientation Schedule and Registration
- Accommodation Choice for Spring Semester
- Documents and Forms Submission, and Payments for Spring Semester
- Visa Extension
- Academic Calendar for Spring 2023
1. Official Transcript
For students who are from affiliated institutions: One official copy of their academic transcript will automatically be sent to their home institution at no charge.
For independent students: One official copy of academic transcript will be automatically sent to students with no charge.
If students wish to have their transcript sent to their home institution, please contact the Registrar’s Office for the request [e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org]
Unofficial Transcript: Grades will be available through Rapport on January 10 (Tue).
[Rapport] Portfolio → My Grade
Students who need to have a transcript sent earlier than date noted above must contact the Registrar's Office in advance. Please note that transcripts will not be sent unless students meet all outstanding obligations to Kansai Gaidai.
2. Computer Access
If the extension application is approved, students' current user IDs and passwords will remain the same until the end of the Spring 2023 semester.
3. Accommodation during Winter Break (December 24 – January 19)
Residence Hall, Global Commons –YUI– (YUI) will stay open for those students who have been approved to extend their stay at Kansai Gaidai for the Spring semester of 2023. The charge for the winter break will be JPY50,000. There is no prorated fee for a shorter or longer period than this winter break period. Seminar House 4 (SH4) will not be available during winter break due to maintenance reasons. Please note that the room assignments will be determined by the CIE. We will send a confirmation message regarding winter break accommodations to the would-be residents in December.
4. Storing Luggage during Winter Break
Students whose extension is approved and is not staying in YUI during winter break may leave their luggage at Residence Hall (maximum of 3 pieces). SH4 residents are to contact the caretakers for necessary procedures. Please note that students will have no access to their luggage until January 20, 2023.
5. Re-entry into Japan [Important]
If you are planning to make an overseas trip (including returning to your home country) and coming back to Japan, be sure to take the following procedure at the port of departure.
- Must have a valid passport and a residence card at the time of departure
- Be sure to tick “I am leaving Japan temporarily and will return” on the Embarkation Card for Reentrant when you submit the ED card at the port of departure. For more details, please refer to https://www.moj.go.jp/isa/content/930002122.pdf
6. Spring Semester Orientation and Course Registration
Extension students are not required to participate in the Spring semester orientation. However, it will be the student’s responsibility to complete necessary payment and registration for the Spring semester during the specified dates.
7. Accommodation Choice for Spring Semester
The feasibility of the Homestay Program is currently under consideration.
A final decision regarding Housing options (Homestay and SH4) will be made in December. Kansai Gaidai accommodations will become available for extension students from January 20, 2023.
8. Documents and Forms Submission, and Payments for Spring Semester
a. Documents to be submitted
- Privacy Consent Form (Through GAIDAI-Link)
- Insurance Verification Form (Through GAIDAI-Link)
- Standards of Conduct Agreement (Through GAIDAI-Link)
- Copy of Residence Card [If residence card has been renewed or address has been changed from the previous semester] (Through BOX)
- Copy of Insurance policy [In case the coverage period has been renewed from the previous semester.] （Through BOX）
b. Payments for Spring Semester
Payments through our online payment system can be accepted from January 10 (Tue).
For those students whose extension is approved, the following fees will be carried over to the next semester.
- General Deposit of JPY10,000 (Refundable at the end of the next semester)
- Dormitory Deposit of JPY30,000 (Refundable at the end of the next semester after possible deductions based on the check-out inspection)
If an extension student does not currently have a bicycle and plans on purchasing or obtaining a bicycle from a terminating student, he/she should take the bicycle to the bike shop where the former owner purchased it, with the bike registration form (the guarantee certificate) and his/her ID, and ask the shop to change the ownership and crime prevention registration of the bicycle. If he/she does not do so, when the police check the bicycle, he/she will be considered owning a stolen bicycle and will be in serious trouble.
Make sure that the former owner cancelled the bicycle registration at the CIE (the student must remove the registration sticker and submit it to the CIE). Then, the new owner must submit a copy of the bike registration form (the guarantee certificate) to the CIE in order to obtain a new registration sticker from the CIE.
EACH STUDENT CAN REGISTER ONLY ONE BICYCLE AT KANSAI GAIDAI.
10. Visa Extension
Students whose visas expire in mid-February will receive the necessary documents in mid-January to extend their student visas until the end of the spring semester of 2023.