In case of emergency, the Kansai Gaidai administration contacts our students via our website and/or by email. Students also receive information regarding local and nationwide conditions from the following alert system and websites:

1. J-Alert System (Nationwide Warning System)

The J-Alert System is a nationwide system issuing emergency warnings and information through television, radio, mobile phone and other means. Through this system, the public receives up-to-date information on:

  • earthquakes
  • tsunami
  • volcanic eruptions
  • severe weather
  • special emergency threats, i.e.,
    • ballistic missiles threats
    • airstrikes
    • terrorist attacks

2. Japan Meteorological Agency Website

This site provides information on warnings and advisories related to natural disasters.

3. Safety Tips for Travelers

While this website is designed for international travelers to Japan, it provides a variety of useful information of value to students from abroad.

4. Embassy & Consulate

During their stay in Japan, students are encouraged to take advantage of the registration and emergency services provided by the embassy or consulate of their home country. Students are also advised to register at their respective embassy or consulate to ensure that national authorities are aware of their presence and location in Japan, making it easier for the embassy/consulate to provide assistance, especially in case of emergency. For example, the website of the U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Japan urges a variety of measures for Americans in preparation for and during emergency situations:

Medical Services

  • Since medical facilities on the Kansai Gaidai campus provide only first aid, in case of illness or injury, students are taken to a local hospital or clinic for treatment. Normally, a representative from the Center for International Education will accompany a student to assist in communicating with hospital staff. There are several hospitals, clinics and dental offices within walking distance of campus.
  • Psychological counseling in English will be available on campus, starting from the fall 2018 semester. An experienced, U.S.-trained and licensed native English-speaking professional counselor will be on campus on Mondays and on call at other times to help our students. Approximately half of the counseling fee will be covered by the university, while the other half, 3,000 yen per 55 minutes, will be borne by the student receiving the service.