Notification of Place of Residence


All foreign residents in Japan are required to register their residence address with the local authorities within 14 days of arrival. We suggest, however, that you complete the registration as soon as possible, or you may forget to do so.

Residence Hall, GLOBAL COMMONS 結 -YUI-/Off-campus residents who have received a residence card at a port of entry, please visit the city hall of your residence to notify your address. For homestay participants, your host families will give assistance in getting to the local city office.

Students who did not obtain their residence card upon your arrival and their passport states "A resident card will be issued later" are also required to visit the city hall of your residence and follow the necessary procedures.
After you complete the above procedures, students are required to submit the copy of their residence card to the Center for International Education.


Student Visa & Certificate of Eligibility

All of our program participants should hold a "College Student" visa. Please make sure that you use the College Student visa to enter Japan.

Your Certificate of Eligibility will be removed from your passport when you go through immigration upon arrival in Japan. If your Certificate of Eligibility is not taken by the immigration officer, please bring it to the CIE office during the orientation period so that we will be able to contact the local immigration office on your behalf.

Re-Entry Permit

Students who hold a valid passport and resident card are not required to obtain a re-entry permit.
For more information, please refer to the URL below:


Part-Time Employment

Under Japanese immigration laws, those who enter Japan with the status of "College Student" may not undertake any part-time employment unless they are granted special permission (Shikakugai Katsudou 資格外活動許可) from the Japanese immigration authorities.

Kansai Gaidai regulations stipulate that students participating in our homestay program or/and those who has been in our program less than three months are not allowed to engage in any part-time employment. Therefore, students are strongly advised to make careful budgetary plans so as NOT to count on income from part-time employment


Medical Insurance

All Asian Studies Program participants must be covered by an insurance policy that is valid for the entire period of stay in Japan. If you bring your own insurance from your country, a minimum coverage of 5,000,000 yen (US$50,000) for medical/injury treatment expenses is required.

You may choose to join the Japanese National Health Insurance program (See below) after arrival in Japan. The insurance premium will be charged from the date when you arrive in Japan. If you intend to join the Japanese National Insurance plan, please indicate so on the Insurance Verification Form (obtainable upon your arrival) and visit the city hall to complete all necessary application procedures.

You will be required to submit a copy of your insurance policy (i.e. documentation verifying the period and amount of coverage) during the orientation period to finalize your registration. If you failed to complete this procedure, your course registration will not be processed.

If you will be covered by your parents' insurance policy while studying in Japan, it is advisable that you ask for the documentation well in advance as it may take some time to obtain it from the insurance provider.

Please note: No hospitals in Japan accept payments by foreign insurance policies. You will be required to pay the entirety of any medical expenses to the hospital up front and to contact your insurance company later for reimbursement.

Japanese National Health Insurance

Regardless of their intended period of stay (one semester or one year), international students with the "College Student" visa are now eligible for the Japanese National Health Insurance.

This insurance is sponsored by the local government of a student's residence. Since the premium is based on the student's income in Japan in the previous year, most students in our program should be eligible for the "Standard Legally Reduced Amount" which reduces premiums by 70%. Although the actual premium depends on the city where the student resides, the average monthly premium is about 2,000 yen. This National Insurance covers 70% of the medical expenses for treatments for sickness or injury.

After joining this plan, students will receive the Insurance Card. When the student receives medical treatment for sickness or injury at a hospital/clinic, he/she must submit the Insurance Card to the receptionist and the insured student pay only 30% of the medical expenses.

Please note that the National Health Insurance does not cover such areas as normal childbirth, traffic accidents (when the assailant is clearly known), general health check-up, immunization, plastic/cosmetic surgery, etc.

Even if you plan to join the Japanese National Insurance, it is still strongly recommended that you bring your own insurance which will cover the entire period of your stay in Japan, in case of high medical expenses such as unexpected surgery or long hospitalization.

Japanese Drug Laws

You are bound by Japanese local laws and subject to the penalties accordingly while in Japan. Be aware that some of the local laws and penalties may seem to be harsher than the standards of your country.

All students are urged to observe Japanese drug laws, which are rigorously and strictly enforced. The possession, receipt, use and sale of drugs, including marijuana, is subject to investigation by the Japanese customs and police authorities. Any student convicted of these crimes will be expelled from our program immediately.

Please refer to the sheet enclosed with your Certificate of Eligibility for detailed up-to-date information.

Mandatory Liability Insurance

Besides your medical and accident insurance, in order to protect students from possible high compensation for damages, all international students in our program are required to join our mandatory liability insurance plan which covers up to 100,000,000 yen (approx. US$1,000,000) with a one-time 1,000 yen (approx. US$10) premium per semester.

Below are examples of what is covered by this mandatory liability insurance:

  1. When riding a bicycle, if you crash into a stopped car, and make a dent and/or scratch on the car;
  2. When in homestay, you accidentally damage something in the house;
  3. When in homestay, you lose a key and are asked to change all the locks in the house;
  4. When visiting your friend's house, you accidentally break an expensive ornament.