Visa Application (For students from our affiliated institutions)

For independent students, please click here

Certificate of Eligibility

Certificate of Eligibility is a vital immigration document for your student visa application. Kansai Gaidai makes the application for your Certificate at the immigration office in Osaka.

Since the Certificate of Eligibility is valid for only three months from the date of issuance and it becomes invalid if the landing application is not filed within that period, we are not able to apply for it very far in advance. Thus, you should expect to receive your Certificate of Eligibility sometime in July for the fall semester and in December for the spring semester.

Address Form

In the meantime, you are requested to send us the mailing address for your Certificate of Eligibility through our on-line application system, GAIDAI-LINK.

Visa Acquisition

When we receive your Certificate of Eligibility from the immigration office, we will send it to you at the address you submitted to Kansai Gaidai. With your Certificate of Eligibility and your passport issued by your home government, you should not encounter any difficulties in obtaining a student visa. However, we strongly advise that you contact the nearest Japanese Consulate for precise procedures to obtain a student visa prior to the receipt of your Certificate.

Important Notice

As the timing of issuance of Certificates of Eligibility is totally up to the immigration office, even if you would like to arrive in Japan earlier than the expected arrival dates, we cannot guarantee that you can receive your Certificate and Student Visa in time for your departure for Japan.

All foreigners entering Japan are expected to obtain an appropriate visa prior to their arrival in Japan, and thus, NO foreigners are expected to change their residence status (visa) within the country. Accordingly, if you enter Japan with a residence status (visa) other than College Student, you may be asked by the immigration office to leave Japan for your home country or a third country to make a visa application. If the application is made in a third country, it may take longer for your application to be processed.

Also, you are requested to contact us immediately if you currently possess Japanese nationality and hold Japanese passport.