As noted in the academic calendar, the latest possible date for moving out of your homestay or Residence Halls is Thursday, June 6, 2024. This date must be strictly observed.

Students who plan to stay in Japan after this semester, but not enroll for the Fall semester at Kansai Gaidai, must secure their own housing and find new sponsorship for their visas.
Please note that the expiration date on your residence card is for student visa you currently hold. If you will be no longer a student after this semester, you will not be allowed to stay in Japan until the expiration date unless you continue to be enrolled in a Japanese educational institute.

For Kansai Gaidai Internship Program (KGIP) participants:
Information regarding summer housing and moving out procedures will be provided to you separately according to your internship schedule.


May 27 (Mon) – Jun. 6 (Thu) Period of Deposit Refund
Receive Reimbursement Form at CIE on Nakamiya Campus
General deposit (JPY10,000) and Dormitory Deposit (JPY30,000) will be refunded at Shomu-bu on Nakamiya Campus.
[Office hours] Mon-Fri: 9:00-17:00, Sat: 9:00-16:00
Jun. 6 (Thu) Deadline for moving out of your homestay or Residence Halls


This memorandum will guide students through procedures/information on what to do before they leave.

Items covered:

  1. Student ID
  2. Refund of General Deposit (JPY10,000)
  3. Refund of Dormitory Deposit (JPY30,000)
  4. Official Transcript
  5. Student Visa Validity
  6. Necessary Procedures at Hirakata City Hall (or other city hall you have lived)
  7. Bicycle Cancellation
  8. Mailbox (For YUI residents)
  9. Computer Access
  10. Mobile Phone / Pocket Wi-Fi / SIM card

1. Student ID

① Bring student ID to CIE on Nakamiya Campus.
② Have student ID invalidated.

※ Please note, once student ID is invalidated,
 ① Not able to enter the library at Kansai Gaidai.
 ② Not able to purchase train tickets or movie tickets at a student discount rate.
 ③ Not able to use the gym.

2. Refund of General Deposit (JPY10,000)

The General Deposit will be reimbursed only when students meet all of their outstanding obligations to Kansai Gaidai. These items include the following, but not limited to:

Student must pay all outstanding fees. No transcript will be released for a student who has financial obligations to Kansai Gaidai.
Library books must be returned.
Cancellation of bicycle registration must be completed. The registration sticker must be submitted together with the reimbursement application. (Refer to item 7 on this memorandum)

3. Refund of Dormitory Deposit (JPY30,000)

The Dormitory Deposit will be reimbursed at the termination of residence after possible deductions based on the check-out inspection.

4. Official Transcript

For students who are from affiliated institutions: One official copy of their academic transcript will be automatically sent to their home institution with no charge.

For independent students: One official copy of academic transcript will be automatically sent to students with no charge.
If students wish to have their transcript sent to their home institution, please contact the Registrar’s Office for the request [e-mail:]

Unofficial Transcript: Grades will be available online for students who completes the Satisfactory Survey in mid-June.

For future requests for transcript(s) or for additional copies, please check the following URL:
[Transcript Request]

Fees: JPY500 per copy

Please note that grades/transcripts will not be available unless students meet all outstanding obligations to Kansai Gaidai.

5. Student Visa Validity

Even though a student’s original visa is valid for one year (or six months) from the date of entering Japan or renewed, it will NOT be possible to remain in Japan with the current student visa if the student will not be enrolled in a Japanese Educational Institute. Kansai Gaidai will report to the Immigration Bureau of the completion of the program.

Students who plan to stay in Japan after this semester but will not be enrolled for the next semester at Kansai Gaidai must secure their own housing and find new sponsorship for their visas. Kansai Gaidai will not be able to act as legal guarantor for students who have completed their studies at Kansai Gaidai.

The Immigration Bureau allows students with a student visa to remain in Japan for about one month after completing their studies at Kansai Gaidai. Those students who plan on remaining in Japan for more than one month must change the visa status according to their intended activities in Japan.

We would like to reiterate that it is illegal to stay in Japan as a “student” without enrolling in a Japanese Educational Institution after completing our Asian Studies Program. Please also note that it is illegal to engage in any jobs without obtaining the proper visa in Japan.

6. Necessary Procedures at Hirakata City Hall (or other city hall you have lived)

Cancel the residency at Hirakata (or other city you have lived)
All students are required to submit "Resident Change Notification Form" (Form will be provided from CIE) at Hirakata City Hall or the City Hall of your residence.
For Hirakata residents, please submit the Form at Citizen Room (Shimin-ka市民課) at Main Building (Honkan本館1F).
Cancel Japanese National Health Insurance
Students who joined the Japanese national health insurance must cancel the insurance before you leave Japan.
For Hirakata residents, please cancel the insurance at the National Health Insurance Room (Kokuminkenkohoken-ka国民健康保険課) at 2nd floor of Hirakata City Hall Annex (Bekkan別館2F).

[Hirakata City Hall]
Open Hours: Mon-Fri 9:00-17:30 / The 4th Sunday 9:00-17:00

  • The above procedures must be completed before you depart Hirakata.
  • Advance cancellation prior to move-out of Hirakata is possible. (2 weeks before departure from Hirakata)

7. Bicycle Cancellation (If applicable)

Cancellation of your bicycle registration
Go to the bicycle store and cancel the bike registration
Also, remove the KGU registration sticker from the bicycle and return it to the CIE by attaching it to the Reimbursement Form to avoid any trouble.
What to do after cancellation
Sell the bicycle to a bicycle store (recommended)
Give or sell the bicycle to other student
(1) Go to the bicycle store with a new owner, the bicycle and the registration form (the guarantee certificate) and his/her ID.
(2) Change the ownership and crime prevention registration at the bicycle store.
(3) If the new owner is a KGU student, he/she must submit a copy of the bicycle registration form (the guarantee certificate) to the CIE in order to obtain a new registration sticker (JPY300). This sticker must be attached to the bicycle.

[Where to park]
If the new owner is a KGU student, he/she owner may park the bicycle at Kansai Gaidai Bicycle parking after obtaining a registration sticker from CIE.

※ Japanese police is rigorous in checking for stolen bicycles. If new owner does not take necessary procedures to change the ownership, when the police check the bicycle, he/she will be considered to be owning a stolen bicycle and will be in serious trouble.

8. Mailbox (For YUI residents)

Clear mailbox at Residence Hall before leaving Kansai Gaidai.

  • CIE will not be able to forward your mail to your home country address due to the cost involved. Any mail received for students already left KGU will be sent back to the senders.
  • If a student plans to stay in Japan, he/she can use “Relocation /forwarding service” by filling out a form and submitting it to the Post Office.
    [Relocation /forwarding service]

9. Computer Access

Please note that students will not be able to log into Kansai Gaidai computers after June 6, 2024. The connection for personally owned computers will also be disconnected after this date. Students who have documents on the z-drive of Kansai Gaidai Computers will need to back-up their files to other memory device before their account is disabled. We will not be able to recover/restore any files and documents in the z-drive after that day. Students will have access to KGU web systems (GAIDAI-Link, Rapport and Blackboard) until the end of January to check their grades.

10. Mobile Phone / Pocket Wi-Fi / SIM card

Students must make necessary arrangements to cancel it if they have a contract of their mobile phone, pocket Wi-Fi or SIM card. If students arranged to use their credit card to make monthly payments, the company will keep charging the basic rate on their credit card if students forget to cancel their contract. If students get behind with the payments or if the cancellation is not made properly, we will release their personal contact information to the company upon request.

The following companies provided explanatory sessions during orientation week. If necessary, please contact them.

[Sunrise Co. Ltd.]
E-mail: / Phone: 0120-336-326
[O planning Co. Ltd.]