For those who are terminating their studies at Kansai Gaidai at the end of 2019 Fall semester, please be sure to follow the instructions below:

On December 16, students who submitted the termination form will receive in your mailbox at Nakamiya Campus an Application for Reimbursement of Deposit together with instructions to follow. After getting appropriate approvals, please submit the form, together with your student ID to the CIE office at Nakamiya Campus for final approval. At this point, your student ID will be invalidated. Then, take it to the SHOMU-BU at Nakamiya Campus. Refunds can be made from December 17 through December 24. If the deposit was paid through your home institution, the deposit will be returned to your home institution.

1. Student ID

Once their student ID is invalidated, they are not able to enter the library and gym at Kansai Gaidai. Also, they are not able to get the privilege of purchasing train tickets or movie tickets at a student discount rate.

2. Refund of General Deposit (JPY10,000)

The General Deposit of JPY10,000 will be reimbursed only when they meet all their outstanding debts to Kansai Gaidai. These items include the following, but not limited to:

Termination form must be submitted.
Student loan must be paid back. No transcript will be released for a student who has financial obligations to Kansai Gaidai.
Library books must be returned.
Cancellation of bicycle registration must be completed. The registration sticker must be submitted together with the reimbursement application. (Refer to item 7 on this memorandum)

3. Refund of Global Commons-YUI- Security Deposit (JPY30,000)

The Security Deposit of JPY30,000 will be reimbursed at the termination of residence after possible deduction based on the check-out inspection.

4. Official Transcripts

For students who are from affiliated institutions: One official copy of their academic transcript will be automatically sent to their home institution with no charge.

For independent students: One official copy of academic transcript will be automatically sent to the institution they have specified on their original Asian Studies Program application form with no charge.

Unofficial Transcript: Grades will be available through K-GENESYS sometime in the middle of January.

For future request of transcript(s) or for additional copies, please click here for application procedures.

Fees: JPY500 per copy including mailing charge

Should they need to have their transcript sent in earlier, be sure to contact the Registrar's Office. Please note that transcripts will not be sent unless they meet all outstanding obligations to Kansai Gaidai.

5. Student Visa Validity

Even though original student visa is good for one year (or six months) from the date entering Japan, if students will not be enrolled in a Japanese university, it will NOT be possible to remain in Japan with the current student visa. The immigration office allows the students with student visa to remain for about one month after completing their studies at Kansai Gaidai. Those students who plan on remaining in Japan more than one month, be sure to change the visa status according to the intended activities in Japan.

We would like to reiterate that it is illegal to engage in any jobs without obtaining the proper visa in Japan.

6. Residence Card

If you have not submitted your copy of Residence Card yet, your copy must be submitted to the Center for International Education.

All students who have a residence card are required to complete and submit "Resident Change Notification Form" to cancel your residency in Hirakata (or other city you have lived). Please visit the city hall where you are residing in. The form is available at the city hall.

For students who joined the Japanese national health insurance, must visit the appropriate desk in the city hall to cancel your health insurance at the same time.

7. Bicycle

Cancellation of your bicycle registration is also one of the items you must complete in order to receive the refund of your deposit. Remove the registration sticker from your bicycle and submit it to the CIE office along with your Application for Reimbursement of Deposit.


As we informed you at the beginning of the semester, the Japanese police have become more rigorous in checking for stolen bicycles. Thus, when you get rid of your bicycle, please choose one of the following options. However, in any case, you must cancel your bicycle registration at the CIE first.

A. Sell your bicycle to a bike shop (recommended)

Take your bicycle to the bike shop where you purchased it, and sell it there.

B. Give or sell your bicycle to an extension international student

If you can find an extension international student who currently does NOT have a bicycle, you can give or sell your bicycle to him/her. Since one student is allowed to leave only one bicycle at Kansai Gaidai Bicycle Parking, you need to find someone who does not have a bicycle. ONE STUDENT CAN REGISTER ONLY ONE BICYCLE AT KANSAI GAIDAI.

If you decide to do so, the new owner should take the bicycle to the bike shop where you purchased it, with your bike registration form (the guarantee certificate) and his/her ID and then ask them to change the ownership and crime prevention registration of the bicycle. If the new owner does not do so, when the police check the bicycle, he/she will be considered to be owning a stolen bicycle and will be in serious trouble.

Make sure you cancel your bicycle registration at the CIE (you must remove your registration sticker from your bicycle and submit it to the CIE). Then, the new owner must submit a copy of the bike registration form (the guarantee certificate) to the CIE in order to obtain a new registration sticker. This sticker must be attached to the bicycle.

[Where to park]
The new owner may park the bicycle at Kansai Gaidai Bicycle parking after obtaining a registration sticker from CIE.

8. Mail

Please make sure to clear your mailbox at Nakamiya Campus before leaving Kansai Gaidai.

If you plan to stay in Japan, you can report the change of your address by filling out a form and submitting it at the Post Office.

If you plan to go back home, due to the cost involved we will not be able to forward your mails to your address in your home country. We will therefore send all the mails back to the senders when receiving mails for students who have already left Japan.

9. Japanese National Health Insurance

For students who joined the Japanese National Health Insurance, be sure to complete the premium payment up to the day you leave Japan. If you still have not completed the payment, please directly go to the City Hall of the city where you are residing in. Please report the day you are leaving Japan and the City office will calculate the payment up to the day you leave Japan. It will be your responsibility to cancel your insurance.

10. Computer Access

Please note that you will not be able to log in to the computer at Kansai Gaidai after December 25, 2019. The connection from personally owned computers are also disconnected after this day. Those of you, who have the documents on your z-drive, please make sure to back-up your files to DVD/CD-R or USB memory stick before your account is disabled. We will not be able to recover/restore your files and documents in the z-drive after that day. You will have access to K-GENESYS until the end of January to check your grades.

11. Keitai Denwa (Mobile Phone) / Pocket Wi-Fi / SIM card

If you have a mobile phone, pocket Wi-Fi or SIM card, you should make necessary arrangements to cancel your contract. If you arranged to use your credit card to make monthly payments, the company will keep charging the basic rate on your credit card if you forget to cancel your contract. If you get behind with the payments or if the cancellation is not made properly, we will release your personal contact information to the company upon request.

12. Closing your Bank Account

Those who have opened a bank account with Sumitomo Mitsui Bank, please be sure to close your account before returning to your home country. There are two options to close your account.

A. Come to one of the following banking session at CIE, however it will take one or two days to receive the money left in your account.

  • Date
    December 10 (Tue), December 12 (Thu), December 13 (Fri)
  • Time
  • Place
    Room 3101@Nakamiya Campus
  • Money Pick-up
    If you joined the session on Dec. 10 → Dec. 12 (@Room 3101)
    If you joined the session on Dec. 12 → Dec. 13 (@Room 3101)
    If you joined the session on Dec. 13 → Dec. 16 (@CIE, Nakamiya)

Note: Your cash card and bank book are required.

B. Go to the Sumitomo Mitsui Bank, Hirakata branch(Map) with your cash card and bank book to close your account.

  • Opening Hours. Mon.-Fri. 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
  • Desk: If you have your cash card and bank book -> go to the 2nd floor
  • If you do not have your cash card or bank book -> bring your passport and go to the 1st floor